heading

Mission: Sew vintage style, sew to upcycle, sew modern, sew innovative, sew gifts, sew for love, sew for good, sew for fun - Sew New, Sew Old, Sew Fun!

Monday, September 19, 2011

Hedgehog Hoodie

Several weeks ago I woke up at the middle of the night with this idea. I guess you could say it came to me in a dream. I love hedgehogs (and have been spending a lot of time with our Wobbly Hedgehog Syndrome girl, Tumbleweed) and decided I needed a "hedgehog hoodie."

It was clearly visible in my mind. It would have ears and a face on the hood and the body would be some sort of brown fabric to mimic the spikes that cover hedgehogs. It was cute, cuddly and warm. With that in mind I did a scrounge of Joanns and came across a "soft and cuddly" fabric that had little nubs. I decided on a brown with white dots cotton for the lining. I purchased fleece in cream and dark brown for the face and ears. A tan zipper (for contrast) and some cute tan with white whip stitched edges cord round out my supplies. Oh! And two black buttons for eyes.


I really like the cord for the hood. Here's a better picture of it. You can also see the nubs on the fabric a bit better.



I set about cutting out my pieces. I sew enough to know the general idea without really using a pattern or anything. I just sort of cut out the pieces without really measuring or thinking about it. The hoodie would be fully lined and have a kangaroo style front pocket. I ended up with 7 pieces for the hoodie, 7 pieces for the lining, 4 pieces for the ears, 1 face piece and 1 nose piece. The hoodie and lining consisted of: Back, front right, front left, right pocket, left pocket, right sleeve, left sleeve, right hood, left hood. A pretty straightforward design.


To begin I assembled the front and back together (lining as well) and then I moved onto the hoodie. Here you can see the completed hood, lined and with face and cord ready to go. I decided to put the body outer and lining together and then attach the hood by the outer and leave the lining free and hand stitch it down later.



Many hours later I happily finished my "hedgehog hoodie." I am happy with the result. I really like the lining and the contrasting cord and zipper. The hoodie is quite warm and cuddly. It might be better suited to a child, but truthfully, I can't wait to go pick apples this fall and wear it!



 I have decided to affectionately call this model "tumbleweed" once I get it in my etsy store.

Happy sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment